Monday, August 22, 2005

Wedding

Cath and Dave's wedding this weekend, which turned out to be spot on. Nice weather, good crowd, and of course the joy of seeing close friends tying the knot. I'll post some pictures here when I can lift them off Sarah's camera - which I so nearly lost :) We danced the night away, and sadly there's photographic evidence of my, eh 'grooving' it up to some 80s cheese. At least I think I managed to avoid the roaming video cameras (Chris was less fortunate in this regard..). Sunday saw us at a lavish buffet layed on by Dave's parents. Pimm's and lemonade works wonders against hangovers. Dave and Cath are jetting off on their honeymoon right about now, looking forward to some African wilderness and remote Indian Ocean beaches.

This week is predicted to be a total washout - it's already begun, in fact. I guess realistically we're approaching the end of the post-work climbing season. Looking at my adventurehut.com logs, this has already been a good year in terms of the logged mileage. The two previous years have been statistical outliers, hardly any climbing at all last year due to various external issues, and the year before that three times my previous top year. This was primarily due to several mad weekends of endless easy soloing on the eastern grit edges - one weekend alone saw me covering 50 routes at Stanage and Birchen up to E1. One of my most memorable days, actually, starting Saturday morning on Pebble Arete, and finishing Sunday afternoon at the top of Crescent Arete, both of which represented personal ambitions at the time. Soloing is an almost meditative experience.

No comments: