Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Head hunters

So there I was, just back in the office after a long day of interviews for the development team. Phone goes. Female voice:

"Is that Mr Karma Police?"

I say that it is indeed, thinking it'd be the guys from HR who've helped me with recruiting. It isn't.

"We have a role for the technical lead for a large publishing company, lots of money, big budget to run the on line department's development arm, you interested?"

I am now very confused, seeing that she's just described my current position, all six weeks of it. I throw my boss next to me a sneaky look, thinking that he's started to look for my replacement already. He shakes his head, vigorously. I ask the lady who she's hiring for, and if she's sure that it's not my job she's trying to recruit me for. She's now confused. I ask how the hell she managed to get hold of my number, seeing that I don't actually know it myself yet.

"Sorry, that's confidential, but we want to do phone interviews tomorrow if you're interested"

I start laughing.

"I'm flattered, but as I've only been in this job for one paycheck so far, I think I should stick it out a bit longer.."

So, anyone wanting to shed some light on this? Maybe the competition is really that brash. Or, which is more likely, I really am incredibly talented :)

Random observation: whilst typing these words I'm watching the British Comedy Awards on telly. Seeing Sacha Baron Cohen out of character is kind of freaky. Borat couldn't make it, as he was doing the key note at the Holocaust Deniers' Conference, apparently.

The insurance comedy is on-going. Big forms arrived with questions written by people who don't understand what climbing means, and certainly aren't remotely qualified in assessing the risks involved. Statistically, cragging is incredibly safe. My sole injury even remotely associated with climbing in the last 10 years is a broken leg, slipping on a rock on the beach, walking in to a route at Portland. Oh, and tennis elbow.

2 comments:

reloaded said...

så, vad hände egentligen? Vad ville människan, och kallade hon dig vid namn eller ej?

-bro

Karma Police said...

Visst. Hon ville ge mig jobb hos konkurrenten. Kul att man är efterfrågad, men lite väl fräckt.