Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Lateral Epicondylitis

I've had a niggling pain in my right elbow for some time now, probably getting on for five or six weeks. It's not debilitating in any way, but I feel it especially after bouldering sessions, and funnily enough, when shaking people's hands. I finally sought the advice of a sports physiotherapist recommended to me by Paul, and her diagnosis is tennis elbow, or Lateral Epicondylitis. This is bad news indeed, seeing that it's notoriously hard to shift and can take months of inactivity to heal. I was given some ultrasound treatment and acupuncture (neither of which has any proven clinical benefits, my friend doctor Will informs me), and a few stretches and shown how to massage the hotspots, but was advised to go see a doctor for a potential cortisol injection to have any chance of recovery in time for hitting the Bishop boulders mid October. Not to mention the Yosemite cracklines.. I'm not a cussing man, but an expletive or two feels strangely appropriate.

No comments: